Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's the Difference? by Natalie Graves



Hello, my name is Natalie Graves. I am an Intern in the Supportive Reading class with Mr. Lagana and I have taken over his blog for the day.
Today marks the third week of my return to the public school system. Even though it has only been a few years since I have been in the student’s desk of a public classroom, I can note several changes that have taken place in my absence. I am glad to report that most of the differences are ones that have left me thinking, “Gee, I wish my teachers did that for me when I was in school.” I have thought this, specifically, in reference to the increasing emphasis on differentiated instruction in the classroom.
If you’re like me then the phrase “differentiated instruction” might have just thrown you through a loop. That is okay; you are not alone. Really though, the concept behind the jargon is simple. It just means that teachers should be making changes in their instruction based on the varying needs of students in their classroom. No two students are the same, and teachers are finding ways to switch up how they teach in order to bring all students to the same end.
Over the last few weeks I have observed several methods teachers have implemented to make differences in their lessons. Sometimes it is as simple as giving a student a ruler to help with a map activity in Social Studies; or folding a bubble sheet on a test so that one section shows at a time to help relieve a student’s anxiety. Sometimes the differences are more obvious, such as creating completely different activities in a math class to help students become familiar with the different ways that numbers are presented.
It has been a good experience to see the ways in which teachers are recognizing their students as individual learners. The tools teachers are giving students today will help students to become more effective learners in the future. Ultimately, the differences teachers make in their instruction might just be what makes the difference in how well your student learns.

1 comment:

Mark Pennington said...

What prevents teachers from differentiating instruction? Check out the real reasons at http://penningtonpublishing.com/blog/reading/10-reasons-why-teachers-resist-differentiated-instruction/