Sunday, November 16, 2008

"I hate reading"


My job exists in many measures because the kids who come to me have lost their love of reading as a means of learning or being entertained. The reasons are many and not exclusive of one another. Some require time to process ideas and are left behind in class discussions as a result. Some have poor decoding skills and a weak vocabulary; so reading is more struggle than it's worth. Still others may have had several bad experiences with books in school. The list goes on certainly.

So, it comes as no surprise each school year when I hear the statement "I hate reading." I am the recipient of this statement in all its forms. Some students say this statement guiltily, as a mumble. Maybe they realize reading is important but still dislike it. Some will preface it with "I'm sorry Mr. L but..." These are the little cherubs who don't want to hurt my feelings. Still others will look me straight in the eyes as if to say "Go ahead and challenge me on how much I loathe reading stuff!" 

Hey there! Trust me, I get it. There are days when I am not a fan of the printed word at all. (Usually, these tend to be the days when I get a new property bill :) 

My first reaction in each instance is to say, "I hear you. We don't all love to read." There are no ifs, ands, or buts that follow. This doesn't mean I forget who needs encouragement on the necessity, value, or enjoyment that comes from time spent reading. I remind myself that no child hates a good story or dislikes learning interesting information. The problem is that this whole reading thingy gets in the way of good stories and interesting information. 

What it means, for me at least, is that I need to be more tactful about how I pitch reading, which is no easy feat in a Reading class. 

So, as examples

** I may begin class by asking a series of questions: Who's ever been embarrassed before? When was the last time you felt lost? Are adults the only people who have to make difficult decisions? 

Great discussions tend to follow as kids have oodles of personal stories to share on these topics. And then, guess what? I'll just happen to have a story related to our discussion.

** Another approach is to present a goal that can only be completed with some reading along the way: E.g.s We'll be writing articles that will be published and available to all students this year. We also have our class blog with a combination of teacher and student blogs.

The school publication is a BIG deal. They are writing for a very real audience, their teachers and peers. They don't want to embarrass themselves and so they're willing to complete the research (reading) needed to make for an informative article. The class blog site is another goal where reading is worth doing as they get to read the words of those they know on the Internet. 

** Sometimes I remind them of what is unavoidable. Reading is a matter of school life and Life in general. 

How will you apply for a college if you cannot follow the application process? How will you apply for a job? Study for your driver's test? Read a letter from a secret admirer? Read books to your children someday? (Um, hopefully, that's a long while from now of course.)

So yes, "I hate reading" is by no means unfamiliar to me. I understand why some children feel this way. It doesn't mean I plan to stand by and let that feeling go unchecked. 

No comments: